Friday, December 28, 2007

Mine Shaft Saloon

Photobucket
For most, going home for Christmas is usually about 4 things: family, church, food and gifts. For me however, it’s also about the chance to see old friends again at whichever of my hometown’s very few bars we decide to visit. My personal favorite is the Mine Shaft Saloon. While usually a hangout for the local alcoholics, the holidays transform the Mine Shaft each year into a high school reunion for anyone 30 and under. Being that I am now 30, this was clearly my last year. Chris joined me, Rob (my brother), and Allison (his wife) on this year’s late night adventure. Also enjoying the festivities this year was our youngest brother, Allen, who turned 21 in December, and made it his wish to join us for a round of drinks. Well, that round turned into several rounds, and our saint of a mother ended up being called well past her bedtime to come pick up her 3 drunken children, one fiancé, and one daughter-in-law. It was a proud moment for her, but now I think she worries her children may have drinking problems. I simply refer to it during the holidays as “self medicating.”
Photobucket
(this is one of the many classic pieces of art on the walls of the mine shaft)

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

Don't you have a similar story from last Christmas? I love your "tradition". :)

NYE was fun! I'll be retiring soon with all the money I plan on making playing poker. If only I could play with fake money all the time... Thanks again for a fun night! And glad we got to catch up at lunch!