Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Attention Jersey Nation

* Disclaimer: Some of you won’t like me after reading this, however, the following was not written about anyone I know, might have passed in the hall, am related to, or went to high school with. This is merely a general statement regarding my personal opinion on a certain item of clothing. That is all. I plead for people to relax and have a laugh.

This is a slight rant about a particular high-grade, polyester, ill-fitting item that I have an issue with: Sports Jerseys.



A jersey is very expensive, and generally unflattering. I understand at an actual game. I endorse it at an at an actual game. I don't feel the same about wearing it out as a general item of clothing. I saw one being worn in Target on a non-game day, and at church on Sunday. Someone was even wearing a Redskins jersey at the Cowboys/Seahawks game. What?



I love the teams I follow. I have ball caps, t-shirts, and a few sweatshirts. I feel that wearing one of those items is a little more age appropriate, not to mention cheaper. One has to admit it's kind of bizarre for grown adults to declare their love of an athlete in the form of embroydery. Let’s not even get into the personalized jerseys, or those worn tucked in.



Here is what I would consider a few exceptions:

1) Under 18 years old. Come on we all remember high school.
2) A hot chick. Even then let’s not forget the Jessica Simpson pink jersey issue.
3) Anyone Mentally challenged.
4) Mother of the actual player.

Go ahead, tell me I'm not a true fan, or that I don't understand the team spirit of a jersey wearing fan. You're probably right on both, but it's just my opinion so keep on keeping on.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

I HATE pink jerseys. Not a fan of jerseys anyway, but especially not pink jerseys. Oh, and I don't like when Mavs fans wear the jerseys without a shirt under them. You are NOT actually in the game; don't make us endure your hairy shoulders.

Glad I got that off my chest. :)

Jennifer said...

I'm with you on that one, Elizabeth! I am grossed out by hairy underarms, too. Put an undershirt on!