Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Break In

Many of you know about this, but for those that don’t...having a lack of a computer can hinder blogging in a big way. A few weeks ago Chris got a call from our home alarm company asking us if we had set off the alarm. Um...no, we were both at work. Knowing that clearly something had gone wrong at home he called me, and we both raced home from our offices to the house. We beat the police by 18 min, don’t even get me started, and found the back gate broken, and the back door pried off the frame and all or our electronics and most of my jewelry gone. Don’t worry; I was wearing the best stuff. These thieves were crafty, breaking in during a shift change for the cops, parking in the back alley, cutting the power and wearing gloves.

(empty mount with fingerprint powder)

It’s been a few weeks now, and it is still strange to walk in and see the mount on the walls, but no TV’s in sight. The first few nights Chris and I wondered what people did with no TV? I have to say we’ve been so busy we haven’t missed it much, with the exception of the season finale of Grey’s anatomy. It is a violating feeling, but I think we have the attitude that the “stuff” was never really ours to begin with. It's inconvenient but we still have a house, jobs, food and each other. A TV and a tiffany’s necklace are just “nice to haves”.

People have been so amazing from bringing us dinner, to offering to loan us a TV or even bringing a bottle or wine. So now we wait for insurance to finish processing our claim and eventually we will be able to do a little shopping to replace some of the things we’ve lost. I think our priorities are the iMac, a TV, an iPod and the DVD player. Who doesn’t like shopping?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love to shop!! That completely sucks that you lost some sentimental jewelry that can't be replaced. I hope they find the thugs so we can beat them down!