Friday, September 11, 2009

8 Years


I can't believe it's been 8 years...9-11 was 8 years ago? It will be an event that people born afterwards, or too young to remember will ask us "Where were you"?

I was getting ready for work in my new apartment. I had moved to San Diego the month before and just started a new job. My mom called hysterical, and told me to turn on the news. I did and they were just reporting on the first plane. I listened and watched as I got ready, and headed into work. I was glued to any kind of news I could find.

I happened to work in the tallest building in downtown San Diego, and it was VERY close to the Airport, as well as in the flight pattern. Half the people were not in the office, and the rest of us were very quiet. We were on the 24th floor, and were used to seeing planes every 2-3 min and that morning we saw nothing. At about 10am we were all evacuated, the sound of the fire alarm caused many people to cry...and as we walked the 24 flights down the stairs I was terrified. The building was listed as a "potential target" by the military and we were sent home for the day.

I just wanted to hear the voices of the people I loved, so I made calls and, sat watching news on TV unable to really do anything else. I also had the courage to finally make a call, using a number I'd had for weeks but never used, to someone that had left me, suddenly without much warning months before. It was devastating and yet I needed to hear his voice...so I called completely unsure of what to say, and when I heard the familiar voice say "hello" on the other end...I couldn't speak. The voice said "Megan"...and I hung up. I realized at that very moment that I had nothing to say. Life was too short to try to make someone love me that didn't want too. That moment the healing started for me. On the worst day in history, I started to heal.

Like everyone else, I will never forget that day but for more than just one reason.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I for one am glad you healed, given that almost 3 years later, to the day, we met. And as they say - the rest is history.

Jillian said...

I hope this isn't intrusive, but as a little bit of validation, that same guy left me too without much warning. He's a runner who's perpetuated the pattern. And, he's still narcissistic and destructive. Cheers to healing and good people in our lives!