Friday, October 27, 2006

I'm not in college anymore

Last weekend my college roommates Scott and Kerri, who happen to be married to each other, came to town for a visit. They live in Costa Rica so I rarely get to see them unless they are passing thru Dallas on one of their many travel adventures. As you can imagine we met and knew each other when life was simple and we majored in sleeping in. Kerri is this amazing fun little ball of energy and whenever she visits somehow I manage to get totally hammered. I'm not talking 2 glasses of wine at dinner feeling good, I'm talking 21st birthday falling out of a cab hammered. After a Kerri visit we say that it won’t happen again, but clearly we think we’re 21 all over again and it seems like a good idea.
Last time she came for a visit we decided running in the rain, getting soaked to the bone, and drinking warm white wine when we got home at 2am was a great idea. I don’t even like white wine let alone warm so you can see we were beyond help. I even left a voice mail for a friend of ours and said it was “Mary and Kegan”…um yes because in drinking language that is Kerri and Megan. I don't drink very often. I mean I don't have any issues...its just I'm finding with every birthday the recovery time is significantly longer than the year before. At this point one night takes the entire weekend, and I feel like a lazy looser....so I usually pass. But on the rare occasion that I put a few away my alter ego "party Meg" comes along as well. I have no idea who created the name but it has stuck. I become a walking party and invite everyone in on the fun with me. I sing in a bar, I dance with strangers, and am slightly obnoxious to a more sober individual.
My boyfriend is almost always sober for these events and has witnessed many things I'm sure he would like to forget. On this occasion however he became one of us. He earned a new nickname "Fiesta Chris". Well I should start by telling you he is a finance guy. Given that statement one could assume that he is very practical, big on planning ahead, always on time, conservative, and not prone to display of emotion. Some might say a bit of a "glass half empty" perspective of life. I on the other hand am the total opposite, but I digress.
So the college roommates came to town and the 4 of us went to dinner, had a few cocktails beforehand, had a few bottles of wine with dinner...at that point knew we needed a cab. Usually this is where sober Chris would say we were going home, but "Fiesta Chris" was ready to party, and we decided to oblige him. Where on earth in Dallas do you think 4 almost 30 year old intoxicated persons would end up...a type of club that shall remain nameless in case my parents or my pastor decide to ever use the world wide web and find me. (Odds are small but they do exist) but the club has dancers and you get the idea. So the bottles at dinner were followed at “the club” by rounds of shots, of what we have no idea. By the time we were ready to call it a night, the bar tab required Kerri's thumbprint. 4x to be exact. Now Sober Megan and Chris would never be here at this club, especially not together...but party Meg and fiesta Chris had a fantastic time. Fantastic until the morning, and we have never felt worse. The recovery did last most of the weekend for all of us, and I think the bruise on Kerri's ass from falling out of the Van cab leaving the club is healing quite nicely.
Note to self...college ended 8 years ago and usually I'm happy it did (so is my liver) but occasionally and for the special few...party Meg will make an appearance, but I have a feeling that was the first and last night of Fiesta Chris.

1 comment:

Kerri Butler said...

Fiesta Chris
+
Party Meg
=
One good par-tay!!!