Friday, October 27, 2006

Panic at the disco folks

"Oh My God this can't be happening" I plopped down on the couch after a long happy hour and late dinner out and flipped on the Tivo. I was anxious to see the best show of all time; Greys Anatomy; that had been recorded earlier of course. What was life before Tivo? I can no longer remember. I stared at the menu list...NO GREYS! Panic sets in, I'm flipping thru the TV, text messaging people and calling all my girlfriends because I was sure I missed it but praying it was a rerun. WHY IS NO ONE ANSWERING?? How could my beloved Tivo skip the only night of TV I live for?

Now I am joking of course, I mean not watching TV won't literally kill me but I look forward to Greys from the minute the last episode ended. I don't refer to the actors by their real names but their screen names, and yes my girlfriends and I do talk about them and the show as if we know them all personally. We analyze their relationships as if they can hear us. We are disappointed in Burke for having anger management issues and saying terrible things about sweet George, and almost (gasp) hurting McDreamy!! I mean does he really think he's going to win a PR war with that?? Not happening. Anyway you can see why I would be so distressed. Finally it was my boyfriend who cleared it all up for me. He had been concerned that it would interfere with the World Series so he checked before meeting me at happy hour; he just forgot to tell me about it.

He thinks women’s obsession with a TV show is odd. He couldn't believe how upset every woman he knew was over the death of Denny who he liked to point out was a "fictional character", but than again he doesn't understand the joy that is Perez Hilton either. Guys, well straight guys just don't understand. I tell him it's like the Masters, or NBA Playoffs...it's important not to be missed or disturbed during events like that. I respect his 48 weekend hours of consecutive college and NFL games. My little piece of heaven is 1 hour, 1 hour a week! Men have events that take up months and hours on end. I have watched it all, I have oohed and ahhed at Tigers amazing year, or our embarrassing show at the Ryder cup. I have cheered on Lance and wanted to spit on the French officials, and I have even been in the room when he is watching the Texas Aggies...anyone that is a Longhorn understands why I almost throw up a little in my mouth while doing that.

In summary my panic at the disco was nothing more than the genius Tivo not re-recording an already aired episode. Disaster averted, whew. I will have to savor the new episode next week twice as much. I also learned that men just don't get it. So to the men I say don't try to stop it, because you can only hope to contain it. Unless you're Denny.

No comments: