Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Ring or flooring?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Yes folks the dilemma for me was a ring or hardwoods. What did I choose? The correct answer would be floors! Better for resale should this not work out, and I don't negotiate on a ring. Talk to me when you have an actual stone in play, capish? But do you know how much new hardwood flooring is? Good Lord is all I'm going to say, but I simply could not live with what was in the house we bought. So before we moved in, we had new flooring installed. In addition my girlfriends and I painted nearly all the rooms in the house as well. I have to say, the place looks completely different. I love it.

One can't really label my decorating style, it's unique. I know many of you are laughing thinking that of course means bad, but I'm sorry to tell you that’s not the case. Unlike most Texans I don't believe in wallpaper, gold fixtures, or floral prints of any kind. I also don't collect knick knacks, or any rustic collection of items that have flag motif. I like muted solid colors, and what I call simple elegance.

I thought I had escaped all Texan decor until I found 2 items that I had to have. I surprised myself actually but when I have an idea, I just do it. I was at this insane antique fair that was 5 miles long and found these huge longhorns that I couldn't forget. I also found a cowhide that even had a brand on it. Sounds terrible I know but truly I fell in love. When I got these items home they went over about as well as a turd in a punch bowl, but I stood my ground. They are now both a part of the master bedroom and believe it or not he loves the look. I also drove 200 miles for a sofa. Yep, it was pouring rain and he thought I was nuts. We almost had a Christmas Tree situation on our hands. After compromising (or what I like to call winning) we rented the U-Haul trailer and went to get this sofa I found online. I am a bargin hunter and even with the rental and gas expenses...it was about $2,000 less than if we had gotten it in the store.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Almost every item in the house was a negotiation, and I am happy to say we made it thru without breaking up! The house is almost finished and we still like each other. I think that is huge. Most of you are blessed with a guy that has no opinions on this type of thing. The conversation probably goes "honey, do you prefer mauve, or lavender for our bedroom?" The typical response would be "I don't care, whatever you think looks best". Our conversations were more like this.
M "would you prefer mauve or lavender for the bedroom"
C "You won't catch me dead in a pink/purple bedroom, what about plaid?"
M "Plaid? Are you high, absolutely not on the plaid that went out when little house on the prairie did"
C "Well you're going to have to pick another color because it’s not going to be girly"
M "fine"

Welcome to the month of June.

No comments: