Monday, January 14, 2008

Engaged Life


I have been engaged for exactly 4 weeks. 4 weeks people. In that time I have been told/asked the following:

1) Repeatedly told "being engaged is so much fun"
2) How is the planning?
3) Honeymoon baby?


1a) What the hell. Really? I think being engaged is this crazy state of limbo. You are planning the most expensive party of your life, trying to remain on a budget while attempting to justify that a photographer really is worth several thousand dollars, and at the same time trying to figure out the ROI on who we should keep on the invite list. No dice. I'm not buying that this "is so much fun".

*The guest list was really our only stress point because we are keeping it small. My rule is: if I haven't talked to you in a year, and you haven't met Chris you will not be on the list.

2a) Planning. I love a good party, really I do, and I love to plan. I try to have attention to detail on things but a wedding is an entirely different monster. The simpler you want it, the more detailed you have to be. It makes no sense. I really don't understand these women who need to take months off work or over a year to plan. Seriously? Pick a place, find a day and everything else can be done in 6 months or less. I understand wanting it to be "perfect" but setting that expectation will only cause unnecessary stress. And we all know I am not into that.

3a) Not even going to address it. Ridiculous. I know we’re at that age, but the dog is more than enough for a while.

3 comments:

RobinBrant said...

I feel you. By the time Mike and I got married, I was so sick of "How is the wedding planning going?" questions.

Once you are married, you will transition to the "How is married life?" question. Married life is good. Married life is the same as engaged life (especially when you live together) and in some of our cases, pretty much the same as dating life. Sigh.

elizabeth said...

Whew...glad I went to the New Year's Eve party or I might be off the list! :) Can't wait til the wedding. You are the best party planner so of course this will be the best wedding!

Jennifer said...

You mean being engaged isn't a great time? And, marriage isn't the best time in your life, too? I'm shocked.