Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Brother


I was 4 when he was born, and from that moment I was his biggest fan and protector. My baby brother. We have always been close, and never really had that sibling rivalry that many do. We played Barbie and Gi-Jo, and had traps on the swing set. I tried to be at all the soccer games, and big events. He probably never needed me to look out for him, but I did and I always will. I can’t help it.

He is the funny one in the family. The one that makes us laugh all the time, literally. He has always been cautious, or “slow to warm” as my mother says. He was the quiet observer as a child, cautious and kind. He was impossible not to love. As he got older and met some lifelong friends in Jr. High, he came out of his shell. He started to become the comedic extrovert that he is today. In high school he was a prankster. He was always the smarter one, and never had to work too hard to do well. He had fewer rules, because by nature he is a rule follower.

When he was in college we were even roommates, and we survived! When he got married I was sad at the idea of being replaced, and looking back that’s normal but also a totally lame reaction. I knew in my gut when he met the woman he was going to marry, and she makes him light up in ways that no one can. She looks at him now, 5 years later, like he is the smartest most wonderful thing in the world. Can anyone really ask for more for your brother?

We have never lived more than 3 hours from each other really. Until they went to Vegas and I came to Texas. I cried when their moving van pulled away from the house. After years of harassment an opportunity for them to move to Dallas came about. I was thrilled. I hated living that far away from them. I always dreamed that we would be close enough to raise our families together. I think that I might get that dream after all.

He turned 27 on April fools. I am so proud of him, and the way he conducts himself. I am proud of the kind of husband and friend he is. He is someone I love to hang out with, whose approval I will always seek, who’s advise I think is indispensable, and who I will always (on some level) boss around. I can’t imagine life without him and I hope I never have to.

Happy Birthday Rob.

1 comment:

Kerri Butler said...

Awww...this made me tear up, so sweet!!! And true!