Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Here comes Lance!


I'm not sure everyone knows this, but I’ve been watching the tour de France for...well a long time. It probably started when I spent a summer in France when I was 12, and saw the tour as it passed thru. I even got Jen hooked and now she watches every year. Cycling has all the good drama of a soap opera. Drugs, people changing teams, countries that hate a certain American rider, insane fans that run in the streets and bloody crashes etc. No one in cycling ever generates as much interest as Lance, love him or hate him I think everyone would agree that he is cycling.
In my small hometown the oldest bike race in the history of California occurs every Fathers Day. It's called the Nevada City Classic. In the past Greg Lemond in the 80’s, Lance in 1990, and Levi even in 1998 among others have participated but generally it's a low key event with only die hard cycling fans making any special trips. Not this year friends because Lance himself, along with Levi (who I adore) and Chris Horner...all amazing American riders announced yesterday that they will be riding in it! Lance tweeted it actually, and of course I follow him because I'm psycho. This is probably the most exciting thing to happen to Nevada City since a Hallmark Christmas movie was filmed a few years ago. My parents are already staking out their seats and I’m forcing my mom to make a sign for me. I can’t believe I’m going to miss this one...for budget reasons I cannot hop a flight to CA this weekend. To quote Levi “This is one party to come watch".

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I am SO jealous of your parents! I hope you told them to make a sign for me, too! I cannot wait until the Tour!!!!!!! Oh, I also have Tom hooked, too.