Wednesday, May 09, 2007

December


The major events of Dec were as follows:
1. I hosted a Christmas Cocktail Party. I would post pictures, but like the A+ hostess that I am…I didn’t take any. I did make a crazy strong drink called “White Christmas” which consisted of Vanilla Vodka, White Chocolate Godiva Liqueur, and Kailua. Delicious and potent. I realized that as much as I love a good party, I don’t like cooking for one. The boyfriend claims he had never seen me cook as much in the 2 years we had been dating than he had for this party. I call BS. I cook, just not for him.

2. The almost break up. The holidays are stressful for everyone, and when navigating a newer relationship can cause tension. Everyone comes with their own expectations and holiday traditions. I am no exception, but add to that a Christmas fanatic and control freak. Can you follow where I am going with this? Being the age that I am, having my own place, career, job etc…sometimes its hard for me to compromise. I said it…its hard. I love Christmas, and as my brother so eloquently stated “it’s Megan’s way or get out of the way” I always have a tree, it is always decorated and freshly cut. No fake tree for me. Fake?? Whisky Tango…that is what I think of fake trees. But I digress. So the boyfriend and I go in search of the perfect tree one weekend. Here is where the trouble starts. I want a noble fir, he wants a Douglas, I want at least 6 feet, and he wants 5. Really 5 feet, I am taller than 5 feet, he is a foot taller than 5 feet, and I have vaulted ceilings….5 feet!! No. So we hold up trees and debate each merit while happy families and children march right in and manage to pick one so easily. Finally we agree, or I win…depends on who you ask. Then we get the thing home, and get it ready to decorate. Here is where the fun really starts. Already licking his wounds from the tree battle at home depot he starts to put on lights. I like to lay them all out, plug them in, test them, and string them together. It’s a process for me. He just wanted to put them on and started from the BOTTOM. What? No, no sorry have you ever decorated a tree? And 5 min later I’m crying, he has left slamming the door, and the tree is half lit with no decorations. I have to call and grovel about how horrible I am at sharing, and learning to incorporate someone else’s suggestions, and apologize. Eventually he returns and we make nice while hanging the ornaments, and I say nothing as he puts the heavy ones on flimsy branches because I have already learned my lesson for the day.

3. When I moved 3 years ago I told my parents it would have to be Christmas or Thanksgiving at home, but not both. Thus started the alternating holiday schedule. December of 2006 was supposed to be in Dallas, hello it had been the plan since the Christmas before. Only over the course of the year my grandmother died, my mom’s mom…and my brother and sister in law moved to Dallas…and my parents would be without any kids for the first Christmas ever, and without my Grandma. At the same time I was in a quandary because I had committed to spending Christmas with my boyfriends family. His family is divorced so the holiday really takes multiple meals and at least 2 days. I could see no good solution.
I know you are all yelling “MOM…hello go save your mom!” In my defense my boyfriend and I had just paid a million dollars to spend a week over Thanksgiving with them in Hawaii! I had just seen her 3 weeks before, and he and his family had sacrificed a holiday for them. So what do I do? After a sleepless night and a few phone calls, we invited my family to his for Christmas. Insane I know, and the reality of it didn’t hit me until we were sitting around the table at his grandparent’s house and I realized this was the first time they had ever met. ALL OF US. His family was thrilled, and loved the entire thing. My family was terrified, because we are all a little relationship phobic. But it happened, and no one died, or drank too much, or caused an injury. A success. Christmas was different for all of us, and it was still hard without my grandma, but at least we were all together.

No comments: