Wednesday, May 09, 2007

How I got to Texas

I get asked all the time so I thought I would share the story.

I moved to Texas almost 3 years ago from California. A friend literally called me up one day and said “hey there is this job here in Dallas I think you would be perfect for…would you ever move?” Well I think most 27 year olds living in beautiful sunny San Diego CA, in a great job and 15 min from your best friend of 15 years and the beach would say “NO WAY!” But I am an oddity. I had been in SD for years, but it never really felt like home. Home is a hard feeling to explain, but you know it when you feel it. I knew it was never home, I just had no reason to leave. Until the call. So I snuck out of town one weekend to go visit a friend aka: interview in secret. I had never been to Texas and I stepped off the plan in hot, humid, summer 100 degree heat and thought to myself this is home. It’s a feeling I’ve never been able to really articulate, but it was home to me and I knew I was going to move even if I didn’t get this job.

I got the job, and then had to go back to paradise and tell everyone that I was moving halfway across the country, and they had 3 weeks to get used to it. Did I mention I lived near all my good friends, and my parents were just a 45 min southwest flight away? This move didn’t sit well, everyone thought I was crazy, that I would hate it, and was sure I would be back. But they helped me pack, and 3 weeks later I was here. Now the series of events in the 8 weeks after I arrived would have thrown others for a loop. If you call moving for a job at a dot com, that did bomb, and that I got my first and last pay check in the same month when they laid off 115 employees with a note on our desks one day, and no severance. Oh and the one friend that I knew in Dallas…yeah she was moving after the lay off back to California.

WTF? But did I pack up, knowing no one in this huge state and move back to my friends and family, already paid for lease, the beach, and let's not forget NORMAL weather? Of course not. I stayed, and I’m still here. I might have also spent an entire month after with my fellow laid off friends from the same company intoxicated but whatever…Here is home. Almost 3 years later, some of the people I met at that job I had for a few weeks are my closest friends. It's a story we all share, and we're all still here.

No comments: