Thursday, November 01, 2007

All treats no trick?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Chris and I picked the neighborhood we wanted to live in for several things...location, schools, size. We chose an area of young families, a great elementary school and a bus stop literally in our driveway. I figured with all those factors the Trick or Treating crowd would be huge! I prepared for it, I decorated the entire front porch with ghosts, giant spider webs, glow in the dark spiders, and pumpkins...you name it! I bought bags of candy, and invited my friends over to hang out and see the cute kids. So imagine my disappointment when for the entire evening I had 14 children knock on the door....14!!!
Hello, what is that about??? I get that the world is a dangerous place, and people want to protect kids. I am all about that. I just miss the days when groups of families would walk the neighborhood together and everyone would decorate and people would talk and meet each other. I miss neighborhoods. We don't have kids but I would love to know the ones that live near me. Trust me I would help make sure they were safe...if I knew who they were or what house they lived in.
I have decided that next year I'm going to have a driveway party, and move the candy and my friends outside. Have some wine, music etc and make sure to tell the neighborhood to come on by and say hello. Chris will hate it, but I think sometimes we make our own community. Even if it takes full size candy bars and some nice pinot for the parents next year has to be better.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

This was the first year there were actually trick or treaters at my house...my street was actually packed! And the entire families were dressed up. But more popular than my house was the one down the street that was giving out wine to the parents. I think your party next year will be a huge hit!

Jennifer said...

I had 5 trick or treaters....and 3 of them were teenages with no costumes!! I'll come to your neighborhood and drink wine in the driveway next year.