Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Babysitters Club



You know you used to read those books, and if you didn’t you are too young for this blog. I started babysitting from a very young age, but have been out of the business since college. This past weekend I babysat for the first time in 6+ years. Our friends Heather and Chris had twins on Valentine’s Day, and haven’t really had a moment off in months. They both work, and take care of the kids with little to no help at all. So when My Chris proposed we give them an afternoon off, I happily agreed. He took the new parents golfing for the afternoon, and I took the 2 babies. Who do you think got the better end of that deal?

I HAVE NEVER WORKED HARDER IN MY LIFE. They are wonderful babies, really, not a problem at all, but babies are hard. Multiply that by 2 and it was an endless cycle of feeding, burping, rocking, diaper changing…then repeat with the other…then repeat again. And no naps! I had totally forgotten the amount of energy that goes in to properly caring for infants. I am sure they felt reassured when they walked back in the door and I yelled "look I didn't kill them" as if that were a surprise to everyone including myself.

When the golfers returned relaxed and refreshed from 18 holes of adult conversation, and a few beers on the course I knew that it had been totally worth it. I have never felt more appreciated for giving someone an afternoon to do something for themselves. It’s what friends do, and I will do it again soon, but I am now in a holding pattern about when I will be ready for the baby step. It takes selflessness, and super human bicep strength, along with the acceptance that life as you knew it is really gone. Not that a new life adventure is bad, it’s just very different. I am in awe of the baby mama’s I know, but I will savor until the last moment many things about not having a baby yet.

1 comment:

the shahans said...

thanks chris for sending me the link - i've been missing way too much!! i love the pictures of the beans - megan is thus far their favorite "babysitter!" talk about a natural - we walked in from a much needed break (thanks for the mental health day!!) and there is megan, with both babies in tote - looking like a pro as if to say "piece of cake" - talk about great parents in the making!! you better count those pills!! love ya both, heather, chris, hagan, colby