Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hat Day



Otherwise known as Kentucky Derby Day…I think unless one is in England it’s the only day in America where huge, ornate, colorful hats are not seen as a sign of a mental illness in a woman.

Texas is as close to the "South" as I plan on getting, and here we have a version of the event at Lone Star Park. I happened to be shopping for something completely different a few weeks prior and came upon a hat that I had to have for the hat contest on Derby Day. It fit the bill completely, and it was black and white with crazy feathers coming off of it, but in an elegant way. I felt like a larger, older version of Kate Middleton.

So the hat: I saw, I purchased, I wore…but alas I did not win. I know this will be hard to believe but there were at least 75 hats in the contest, and they varied from homemade, to theme hats, and hats with real roses with every possible option in between. It was something to see. So I did not win, but I felt I represented the spirit of a true derby hat.

2 comments:

Kerri Butler said...

I loooooooove it!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Very fancy! I like your hat.