Tuesday, October 21, 2008

NKOTB


That’s right…they're back, and don’t think I would miss this. When I first saw the tour dates released and Dallas on the list, an email went around among girlfriends that read something like this. “Is it completely embarrassing that I'm asking you guys if you want to go to this, because I totally do”? The responses were unanimous, we were all in. So the morning tickets went on sale I was online, credit card in hand. After 15+ years of waiting, this past Sunday, they were here.

Photobucket

A little background on my relationship with New Kids on the Block. I was in love with them, and convinced I was going to be Mrs. Joey McIntyre. If only he met me, of course it would be me. My music selection as a pre-teen was very restricted, but NKOTB made the cut. I had the VHS music videos, and slept in an oversized New Kids shirt. For my 12th birthday my poor dad took me and 3 of my girlfriends to the concert. He said he couldn’t hear for days. I thought I had died on gone to heaven.

Photobucket

Sunday I felt like I was 12 all over again, but in a 31 year old body. The stadium was filled with women in my age range. I have never seen anything like it. Many came in large groups, and had made NKOTB t-shirts, or ordered them online somewhere. They also had those huge buttons from the original New Kids Era. Some were wearing all neon, leg warmers and side ponytails. They weren’t messing around.

Photobucket

I was totally unprepared for the rabid Japanese fan sees Michael Jackson type reactions. I mean the screaming, some were even crying…god I hope no one did the fainting. The show was great. They played all the favorite old stuff, complete with original dance routines and clothing. It was very entertaining, and they still looked great. The crotch grabbing and stripper dancers in the show were a new touch to the old stuff. The highlight for everyone was Hanging Tough of course. The entire crowd sang along waiving our arms in the air like we just dind't care.
Photobucket

This time around I was pretty sure Joe wasn’t going to see me in the crowd while singing “Please don’t go girl”, and think I was the one for him. This time around my feet hurt, I was thinking I should have brought ear plugs, and I was tired from being up so late on a school night. Times have changed a little, but I was giddy like a 12 year old, had a sore throat from screaming so loudly, and had one of the best concert experiences ever. So some things haven’t changed.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The BEST concert ever! Hangin' Tough was THE song. People were unbelievable!

RobinBrant said...

The picture of Joey grabbing his crotch while looking directly at you is an instant classic.