Tuesday, February 26, 2008

FOTY!!!


FOTY, yeah I didn’t know what it meant either…until Friday night. Last week was nuts with family in town, and a really exciting cancer scare (luckily the biopsy was negative) either way it was a week that had me frazzled. I don’t like being frazzled. Friday night all I wanted was a quiet evening, dinner with my family, and Chris. All was going according to plan, until after dinner. We went to Hattie’s, and afterwards decided to celebrate with my brother Rob and sister in law Allison at our place with dessert. We had ice cream cake of course…I have a genetic disposition to ice cream addiction. We were sitting in the living room after the cake, and there was a knock at the door. It was 10pm and I of course thought it was a mass murder and ordered Chris to not open it. He wasn’t even going to look out the window to see who it was! But there was a surprise to top all surprises behind that door.

He opened the door and my best friend Colleen peeked in. Colleen and I have been friends for 19 years, but she now lives in Charlotte, North Carolina. She was of course invited to the engagement party over the weekend but I hadn’t actually expected her to come. She had even insisted that she was busy and was so sad that she wouldn’t be able to fly out. I bought that lie hook, line and sinker. So when she was at the door I lost my shit. I was screaming and yelling, and then of course crying. She and Allison (the best sister in law ever) had been planning the secret for weeks. I had no clue. I’m not generally one who likes surprises, and I usually ruin them for myself about 99% of the time so this was a moment I will never forget.

FOTY means “Friend of the Year” according to Meg Boyd who kept yelling that out to Colleen at the engagement party. Colleen informed us on the way home from that party that “Dallas loves her” and of course…who wouldn’t?

2 comments:

Allison Heinrich said...

Thanks Megan...I loved being a part of the surprise, and I am really happy that we were able to pull it off!

Jennifer said...

It was great to see Colleen and yes, Dallas does love her. When the heck is she moving here?!?