Monday, February 23, 2009

Mardi Gras Lake Charles Style

My weekend in Louisiana with the Hay family was more than I even imagined. It was my first time in the state of Mardi Gras so for me it was very entertaining. Here are just a few of the highlights.

I flew into Houston, Celeste picked me up and we headed to Lake Charles. Celeste has the nicest family, so open and welcoming. They have a beautiful house, on the water with a very cool boat dock. I looked for alligators only to be told they don’t see them in the winter. The fact that they see them at all is enough for me to know I’m never swimming off that dock. Ever.
We arrived in time for dinner which was an exciting fish fry at the Pentecostal church down the street from her parents’ house. Again, I have never been to a fish fry for a Pentecostal church so this was a good time. The description Dorsey gave me was that the girls don’t cut their hair or wear any makeup and dress like little house on the prairie. Her description was spot on.

Saturday night we had the Crew du lac Mardi Gras Ball and we needed to find Celeste a costume. The theme was “out of Africa” and everyone was going tribal. We made our way to the ethnic beauty store and were in search of some good hair. I got a wig and Celeste got a hair piece to attach to her ponytail. She was asking the man behind the counter how to attach the hair, and he took it upon himself to give her some additional recommendations. He asked her if she wanted a “booty pad”. A what? We were totally confused by his question, and then he pointed to a fake ass that one would wear to give more of a “booty” and we both about died laughing. Um, no...I think we have more than enough junk in our trunks already but thanks.

That night with the costumes and added hair we headed to the ball. On our way I insisted we stop at a one of the drive thru daiquiri places I saw earlier that day. That’s right you drive thru and they hand you a cup of blended alcohol goodness. I had never seen one, and felt an obligation to try them. Delicious.
Each group in the crew dresses in a different theme for this ball, and some of the costumes were awesome. I personally loved the crew that came in Chef attire and called themselved the "master baters". Classic. After the court was introduced (duke, duchess, king, queen) the dancing began. Celeste’s uncle was a Duke this year, a great honor, so we all had special tables. Let’s just say the girl has a lot of family. Most people had begun drinking hours before the ball even started so people were having a good time. We all danced until well into the morning and I hope to be invited back again next year.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Looks like fabulous fun! Anything with Celeste is bound to be crazy. :)